Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I've missed the sun

I think it has only been raining for two months in Cincy but it feels like it has been raining for 2 years without stop.  I know that I could never live in London or Seattle if it rains this much.  I, the woman who is not physically able to tan, miss the sun.  In celebration of the small amount of sun that we have managed to soak up I've snapped a few photos of what I've been up to lately.
 It actually got warm enough to make our spinach bolt and force us to harvest it all in one final swoop.  It was rinsed, blanched and split into freezer bags to await future use.  If you can see in the upper left hand corner we also had a harvest of sugar snap peas which was about two palm fulls.  Super crunchy and very yummy.

 For the first time in my entire life, and not for lack of trying mind you, I was able to get a fairy rose to bloom after the initial blooms that were on it in the store had gone.  This little beauty has been only foliage since this past Valentine's day when I picked her up to come home with me.  I am extremely proud.  Flowers and indoor plants are not really my specialty.  Looks like my luck may be changing. 

Lastly, a little update on the paper mulch garden project for all you inquiring minds.  We had a ton of mail.  It filled four office paper boxes (the nice ones with the lid that holds 10 reams) and when shredded each box filled about a 22 gallon trashcan once I crushed as much air out of it as I could.  I am on my last box of paper because the "mulch" really breaks down fast when it rains and then the weeds start poking through.  It was a fantastic way for us to use the mail that Max was so diligently not throwing away for the past 6 years or so...however, I don't recommend this for someone looking for a cheap mulch for permanent beds.  It will severely disappoint.  It looks fantastic until the first rain storm and covers a large amount of space but that's about where the goodness ends.  Happy Gardening everyone and I hope you have more sun than we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment